Gastrocolic fistulas in children are most commonly seen after placement of a percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy. We present a 14-year-old girl who developed a gastrocolic fistula following accidental corrosive acid ingestion. On evaluation of her symptoms, a barium swallow identified the gastrocolic fistula. It healed spontaneously in 3 months. This was both unexpected and remarkable. To the best of our knowledge this is the first case of a gastrocolic fistula occurring following corrosive ingestion.
- Stomach and duodenum
- Parenteral / enteral feeding
- Gastrointestinal surgery
Statistics from Altmetric.com
Contributors ARD was responsible for the data collection, write-up, literature review, editing and submission process.
SJ was responsible for the write-up, definition of intellectual content, literature search, critical review and editing.
Competing interests None declared.
Patient consent Consent obtained from guardian.
Provenance and peer review Not commissioned; externally peer reviewed.
If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.