Article Text

Download PDFPDF
CASE REPORT
Beware the yellow slimming pill: fatal 2,4-dinitrophenol overdose
  1. Alexander Holborow1,
  2. Richard M Purnell2,
  3. Jenny Frederina Wong3
  1. 1Wales Deanery Postgraduate Medicine, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK
  2. 2Department of Medicine and Cardiology, Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board, Swansea, UK
  3. 3Department of Surgery, Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board, Swansea, UK
  1. Correspondence to Dr Alexander Holborow, aholborow{at}gmail.com

Summary

An industrial chemical, 2,4-dinitrophenol (DNP), has found use as a weight loss drug. It is extremely toxic in overdose and has a narrow therapeutic window with significant interindividual variability in metabolism. The rise in internet-based sales and distribution of this drug has seen an increased incidence of both accidental and intentional overdose presenting to emergency departments across the UK. No antidote currently exists and overdose is often fatal despite management based on current recommendations. We report a case of intentional overdose of DNP in a young man and discuss the current treatment guidelines. The case highlights the need for an increased awareness among frontline medical staff of the effects of DNP poisoning and questions the need for a more aggressive approach in the management of acute toxicity.

Statistics from Altmetric.com

Request Permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.