Article Text

PDF
CASE REPORT
Rare case of accidental fire and burns caused by e-cigarette batteries
  1. K Walsh1,
  2. Z Sheikh2,
  3. K Johal3,
  4. N Khwaja4
  1. 1Department of Plastic Surgery, Royal Preston Hospital, Preston, UK
  2. 2Department of Plastic Surgery, St Johns Hospital, Livingstone, UK
  3. 3Department of Plastic Surgery, Royal Free Hospital, Pond Street London, UK
  4. 4Burns Centre, University Hospital of South Manchester, Manchester, UK
  1. Correspondence to Dr K Walsh, drkcwalsh7{at}gmail.com

Summary

E-cigarettes have become very popular among adult smokers, and many users carry e-cigarette devices and their components on their person. We present a case of a 35-year-old man who was admitted to our regional burns unit after his clothing was set-alight following the self-combustion of an e-cigarette lithium battery that was in his pocket. The patient had sustained a 1.5% mixed depth burn to the lateral aspect of his right thigh. Ward debridement under local anaesthetic was performed to remove clothing residue and reduce the risk of tattooing. Following conservative management with outpatient dressings, the burn wound healed by day 56.

Statistics from Altmetric.com

Request Permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.