Article Text

Download PDFPDF
Obstruction and perforation of the small bowel caused by inadvertent ingestion of a blister pill pack in an elderly patient
  1. Ghassan Al-Ramahi,
  2. Mohamed Mohamed,
  3. Kristin Kennedy,
  4. Michael McCann
  1. Department of Trauma Services, Hurley Medical Center, Flint, Michigan, USA
  1. Correspondence to Dr Mohamed Mohamed, mmohame4{at}


Perforation of the small bowel due to foreign body ingestion is a rare instance that occurs in less than 1% of all ingestions. Although rare, ingestion of blister pill packaging is becoming more recognised as a causative agent for intestinal perforation, but is very rarely reported to cause intestinal obstruction. This is a report of a 66-year-old woman who presented with intestinal obstruction and underwent laparotomy, revealing small bowel perforation by a piece of blister pill pack foil. The patient was incognisant of the ingestion.

Statistics from

Request Permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.