Article Text

PDF
CASE REPORT
Airway obstruction from accidental ingestion of a live fish
  1. Tiffany Tam1,
  2. Laurence Weinberg2,
  3. John Edington3
  1. 1Department of Anaesthesia, Bendigo Health, Bendigo, Victoria, Australia
  2. 2Department of Anaesthesia, Austin Hospital, Heidelberg, Victoria, Australia
  3. 3Department of Intensive Care, Bendigo Health, Bendigo, Victoria, Australia
  1. Correspondence to Dr Laurence Weinberg, laurence.weinberg{at}austin.org.au

Summary

We present a case of a fisherman who swallowed a live fish, which resulted in severe upper airway obstruction. The firm attachments of the fish's external fins and scales to the airway limit the removal when impacted. We outline our emergency airway management strategies and focus our discussion on the technique used to remove the impacted fish from the upper airway, which was paramount for the successful outcome of this case.

Statistics from Altmetric.com

Request Permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.