Article Text

Download PDFPDF
Near fatal iron intoxication managed conservatively


We report here the case of an infant who presented to the emergency department after unintentional ingestion of almost 130 mg/kg of elemental iron. The infant had evidence of serious toxicity in the form of hypotension, metabolic acidosis and excessive irritability. Her serum iron levels were 360 µg/dl, which was well above the normal range for her age. Despite such high serum levels, the infant made an uneventful recovery with medical management alone and did not require exchange transfusion. We chose to report this case to highlight her uneventful recovery with conservative therapy alone.

Statistics from

Request Permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.