Article Text

Download PDFPDF
Reminder of important clinical lesson
Accidental ingestion of a cocktail stick
  1. Christodoulos Kaoutzanis,
  2. Wassim Saghir,
  3. Ayman Hamade,
  4. William Garrett
  1. Department of General Surgery, Medway Maritime Hospital, Kent, UK
  1. Correspondence to Christodoulos Kaoutzanis, ckaoutzanis{at}


Cocktail stick (CS) ingestion injury has rarely been reported in the literature. It is a serious clinical problem with considerable morbidity and mortality, largely due to the fact that the event is unnoticed by the patient. We report a case of CS ingestion that went unrecognised by the patient and caused a perforation in the mid-small bowel. We discuss how injuries from such events can become a diagnostic challenge. The history should be re-evaluated in any undiagnosed abdominal pain which has an unclear aetiology and negative radiology.

Statistics from

Request Permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.


  • Competing interests None.

  • Patient consent Obtained.