An 83-year-old man was admitted to hospital with a general decline in health, including deteriorating ability to swallow. He was not managing sufficient oral intake to meet his daily nutritional requirements, so had a percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy (PEG) tube inserted for long-term feeding. Following the procedure he became shocked, and was unresponsive to aggressive fluid resuscitation. He died approximately 7 h after the PEG tube insertion. A postmortem examination revealed 2.5 litres of blood and bloodstained fluid within the abdominal cavity and a haemorrhagic pancreas. Microscopy of the pancreas showed a defect in a small to medium-sized artery, likely to be a branch of the splenic artery. The cause of death (as per section 1 of the death certificate) was (1a) intra-abdominal haemorrhage, (1b) pancreatic trauma at PEG feeding tube insertion and (1c) dysphagia due to cerebrovascular disease.
Statistics from Altmetric.com
Competing interests: None.
Patient consent: Patient/guardian consent was obtained for publication.
If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.