We herein report three cases of group A Streptococcus (GAS) infection in a family. Patient 1, a 50-year-old woman, was transferred to our hospital in shock with acute respiratory distress syndrome, swelling in the right neck and erythemata on both lower extremities. She required intubation because of laryngeal oedema. At the same time, patient 2, a 48-year-old man, was admitted because of septic shock, pneumonia and a pulmonary abscess. Five days later, patient 3, a 91-year-old woman, visited our clinic with bloody stool. All three patients were cured by antibiotics, and GAS was detected by specimen cultures. During these patients’ clinical course, an 84-year-old woman was found dead at home after having been diagnosed with type A influenza. All four patients lived in the same apartment. The GAS genotypes detected in the first three patients were identical. When treating patients with GAS, appropriate management of close contacts is mandatory.
- general practice / family medicine
Statistics from Altmetric.com
Contributors KA was involved in concept, literature search, drafting and clinical care of the patient. MT and NEK were involved in concept, literature search and drafting. SY was involved in concept, supervision and revision of article.
Funding The authors have not declared a specific grant for this research from any funding agency in the public, commercial or not-for-profit sectors.
Competing interests None declared.
Provenance and peer review Not commissioned; externally peer reviewed.
If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.