Article Text

Download PDFPDF
Grilling pains: case series of four patients needing operative intervention after accidental ingestion of a wire bristle
  1. Rathnayaka Mudiyanselage Kalpanee Gunasingha,
  2. Joseph D Bozzay,
  3. Beau Munoz and
  4. Debra L Malone
  1. Department of Surgery, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
  1. Correspondence to Dr Rathnayaka Mudiyanselage Kalpanee Gunasingha; rg1430{at}outlook.com

Abstract

Accidental ingestion of a grill brush wire bristle is a rare event. Retrieval rarely requires surgical intervention as the wire typically causes symptoms above the gastro-oesophageal junction and can frequently be removed endoscopically. There are few reported cases of gastrointestinal injury due to ingestion of wire bristles lodging past the gastro-oesophageal junction in adults. We present four cases of wire brush bristle ingestion that required operative intervention. Our case series illustrates how the commonly used wire grill brush may cause a serious injury. This diagnosis should be considered in patients who present with abdominal pain, non-specific symptoms and normal labs, with liner radio-opaque imaging findings and a history of grill use. Education as to the dangers of grill wire brushes to clean grills should be provided commercially.

  • trauma
  • general surgery
  • gastrointestinal surgery

Statistics from Altmetric.com

Footnotes

  • Funding The authors have not declared a specific grant for this research from any funding agency in the public, commercial or not-for-profit sectors.

  • Competing interests None declared.

  • Patient consent for publication Obtained.

  • Provenance and peer review Not commissioned; externally peer reviewed.

Request Permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.