rss

This article has a correction

Please see: BMJ Case Reports 2018;2018

BMJ Case Reports 2018; doi:10.1136/bcr-2018-224213
  • Unusual presentation of more common disease/injury
  • CASE REPORT

Accidental aspiration of a solid tablet of sodium hypochlorite

Open Access
  1. Christophe Fehlmann1,3
  1. 1 Department of General Internal Medicine, Geneva University Hospitals, Geneva, Switzerland
  2. 2 Department of Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery, Geneva University Hospitals, Geneva, Switzerland
  3. 3 Emergency departement, Geneva University Hospitals, Geneva, Switzerland
  1. Correspondence to Dr Caroline Boonekamp, caroline.boonekamp{at}hcuge.ch
  • Accepted 22 April 2018
  • Published 21 June 2018

Summary

Sodium hypochlorite is a corrosive, highly alkaline (pka=7.52) household product. Ingestion of sodium hypochlorite liquid is common, showing toxicity on the oesophagus and stomach. Nevertheless, cases of sodium hypochlorite ingestions in pellet are rare and the management of them is unknown. We report the case of a 65-year-old man who accidentally swallowed a bleach tablet of 3.5 g. Six hours later, the patient developed an aphonia associated with dysponea stage IV, motivating a nasofibroscopy showing glottis and supraglottic necrosis and oedema for which the patient received intravenous steroids, was intubated and then underwent a tracheotomy. After 2 weeks under tracheotomy, local evolution was favourable allowing a removal of the cannula and a return back home.

Footnotes

  • Contributors CB wrote the first manuscript. FV brought essential contributions and revised the manuscript. CF supervised the whole work and revised the manuscript. All agreed to be accountable for all aspects of the work.

  • Funding The authors have not declared a specific grant for this research from any funding agency in the public, commercial or not-for-profit sectors.

  • Competing interests None declared.

  • Patient consent Obtained.

  • Provenance and peer review Not commissioned; externally peer reviewed.

  • Correction notice This article has been corrected since it was published online. The substance ingested by the patient described in the case report was sodium hypochlorite (Bleach, pKa=7.52) and not sodium hydroxide (Caustic soda, pKa=14.8).

This is an open access article distributed in accordance with the Creative Commons Attribution Non Commercial (CC BY-NC 4.0) license, which permits others to distribute, remix, adapt, build upon this work non-commercially, and license their derivative works on different terms, provided the original work is properly cited and the use is non-commercial. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/

Responses to this article

Open Access

Register for free content

The full text of all Editor's Choice articles and summaries of every article are free without registration

The full text of Images in ... articles are free to registered users

Only fellows can access the full text of case reports (apart from Editor's Choice) - become a fellow today, or encourage your institution to, so that together we can grow and develop this resource

Don't forget to sign up for content alerts so you keep up to date with all the case reports as they are published, and let us know what you think by commenting on the Editor's blog

Navigate This Article