rss
BMJ Case Reports 2015; doi:10.1136/bcr-2015-211400
  • CASE REPORT

Neglected partial denture in the lower oesophagus presenting after 7 days

  1. Suganthy Dakshinamoorthy1
  1. 1Department of Medical Gastroenterology, Mahatma Gandhi Medical College and Research Institute, Puducherry, India
  2. 2Department of ENT, Mahatma Gandhi Medical College and Research Institute, Puducherry, India
  3. 3Department of Radiology, Mahatma Gandhi Medical College and Research Institute, Puducherry, India
  1. Correspondence to Dr Vinoth Boopathy, drbvinoth{at}gmail.com
  • Accepted 16 September 2015
  • Published 30 September 2015

Summary

Accidental ingestion of a denture is an acute emergency, and the denture is usually removed on the same day it is discovered. We present a patient who had a seizure while asleep, during which his denture broke; he accidentally swallowed a major part of it, which had a clasp attached. He was unaware that he had ingested the denture, since he was asymptomatic, but he started developing symptoms after 5 days and presented to us on the eighth day of ingestion. With much difficulty, the impacted section of the denture in the distal oesophagus was removed with the combined effort of flexible endoscopy and a rigid oesophagoscopy. Post-procedure, the patient developed mediastinitis, which was managed conservatively; he is doing well on follow-up.

Register for free content

The full text of all Editor's Choice articles and summaries of every article are free without registration

The full text of Images in ... articles are free to registered users

Only fellows can access the full text of case reports (apart from Editor's Choice) - become a fellow today, or encourage your institution to, so that together we can grow and develop this resource

Don't forget to sign up for content alerts so you keep up to date with all the case reports as they are published, and let us know what you think by commenting on the Editor's blog

Navigate This Article