rss
BMJ Case Reports 2013; doi:10.1136/bcr-2013-010486
  • CASE REPORT

Airway obstruction from accidental ingestion of a live fish

  1. John Edington3
  1. 1Department of Anaesthesia, Bendigo Health, Bendigo, Victoria, Australia
  2. 2Department of Anaesthesia, Austin Hospital, Heidelberg, Victoria, Australia
  3. 3Department of Intensive Care, Bendigo Health, Bendigo, Victoria, Australia
  1. Correspondence to Dr Laurence Weinberg, laurence.weinberg{at}austin.org.au

Summary

We present a case of a fisherman who swallowed a live fish, which resulted in severe upper airway obstruction. The firm attachments of the fish's external fins and scales to the airway limit the removal when impacted. We outline our emergency airway management strategies and focus our discussion on the technique used to remove the impacted fish from the upper airway, which was paramount for the successful outcome of this case.

Register for free content

The full text of all Editor's Choice articles and summaries of every article are free without registration

The full text of Images in ... articles are free to registered users

Only fellows can access the full text of case reports (apart from Editor's Choice) - become a fellow today, or encourage your institution to, so that together we can grow and develop this resource

Don't forget to sign up for content alerts so you keep up to date with all the case reports as they are published, and let us know what you think by commenting on the Editor's blog

Navigate This Article