Palatal avulsion injury by a foreign body in a child
- 1ENT Department, UITH, Ilorin, Nigeria
- 2ENT Department, FMC Azare, Bauchi State, Nigeria
- 3Radiology Department, FMC Gusau, Gusau, Zamfara, Nigeria
- 4Surgery Department, UDUTH, Sokoto, Nigeria
- 5Radiology Department, UITH, Ilorin, Kwara, Nigeria
- Correspondence to Dr Shuaib Kayode Aremu,
A 6-year-old girl who claimed to have fallen while playing with metal rod that resulted in palatal avulsion injuries was presented. Neither of the parents was around when the incidence happened. She was brought to the hospital because of pain, bleeding from the mouth, drooling of saliva mixed with blood and inability to feed or phonate appropriately. Examinations of the oral cavity revealed a triangular area of avulsion in the posterior aspect of the hard palate extending to the soft palate. She had examination under anaesthesia and wound repaired with 3-0 vicryl interrupted sutures after thorough wound debridement. She did well and was discharged from the clinic.
Competing interests None.
Patient consent Obtained.