A rare case of portal vein gas: accidental hydrogen peroxide ingestion
- 1Emergency Department of Medicine, aculty of Gaziantep University, Gaziantep, Turkey
- 2Emergency Department of Gaziantep, Sehit Kamil State Hospital, Gaziantep, Turkey
- 3Gastroenterology Department of Medicine Faculty, Gaziantep University, Gaziantep, Turkey
- Correspondence to Dr Suat Zengin,
Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is a colourless and odourless liquid with oxidant characteristics used for various purposes. Whereas in lower concentrations (3%), H2O2 is used as a disinfectant in home cleaning products and wound care, in higher concentrations (35%) it is used in textile and paper industry as a bleaching agent and is diluted for use in lightening hair dyes. Like other caustic substances, direct injuries may develop if H2O2 is swallowed and systemic air embolisms may occur due to the resultant gaseous oxygen. This study discusses a patient who was detected with the presence of gas in the portal venous system due to H2O2 intoxication and was treated conservatively.
Competing interests None.
Patient consent Obtained.