Heart block following topical latanoprost treatment
- 1Eye Unit, Croydon University Hospital, Croydon, UK
- 2Eye Unit, Kings College Hospital, London, UK
- 3Prince Charles Eye Unit, King Edward VII Hospital, Windsor, UK
- 4Eye Unit, The Hillingdon Hospital, Uxbridge, UK
- Correspondence to Dr Elisabeth De Smit,
The authors report a case of second degree heart block associated with topical latanoprost treatment. The authors discuss the possibility of a causative effect as the cessation of this treatment resulted in improvement of the arrhythmia. The authors highlight previous reports and research in humans and animals which demonstrate an association of arrhythmias with prostaglandin analogues. This report draws attention to the possibility that an extremely commonly prescribed topical drug may trigger arrhythmias in susceptible individuals. It is important that prescribers are aware of this possible side-effect.
Competing interests None.
Patient consent Obtained.