Dilated neonatal cisterna magna and Marfan syndrome
- 1Department of Child Health, William Harvey Hospital, Ashford, Kent, UK
- 2Department of Cardiac and Vascular Sciences, St George’s Hospital University of London, London, UK
- 3Department of Neonatal Medicine, Imperial College, London, UK
- 4Imaging Sciences Department, Imperial College, London, UK
- 5Department of Paediatrics and Imaging Sciences, Imperial College, London, UK
- Correspondence to Dr Vimal Vasu,
The authors report the incidental finding of a dilated cisterna magna with an abnormal configuration to the falx in a newborn infant with Marfan syndrome who was recruited to a research study involving whole body MRI. To our knowledge, dilation of the cisterna magna has not previously been reported in patients with Marfan syndrome. Potential implications for antenatal diagnosis, the ethics of recruiting healthy volunteers for research and directions for future work are discussed.
Competing interests None.
Patient consent Obtained.