Multivisceral radical en bloc resection with spleen preservation in T4 gastric cancer
- Ricardo Cotta-Pereira1,
- Monique Awad2,
- Carlos Eduardo Brandão Mello2,
- Antonio Carlos Garrido Ribeiro Iglesias1
- 1Department of Surgery, Gaffrée & Guinle Univesity Hospital, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- 2Department of Internal Medicine, Gaffrée & Guinle Univesity Hospital, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Correspondence to Ricardo Cotta-Pereira,
Gastric cancers are the second most common cause of cancer death worldwide. In the majority of countries, gastric tumours are diagnosed at advanced stages. The authors present the case of a patient with a T4 gastric tumour who underwent a multivisceral en bloc resection (liver segmentectomy, total gastrectomy, partial pancreatectomy) and D2 lymphadenectomy with spleen preservation. The aim of this report was to confirm that, for T4 gastric tumours, radical resection can be performed without splenectomy with minimal morbidity, and this procedure can improve long-term survival.
Competing interests None.
Patient consent Obtained.